Just started recording bird calls and songs.

Subject: Just started recording bird calls and songs.
From: Adrian Ganem Sada <>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:10:25 -0600
Hello everyone my name is Adrian from Monterrey, Mexico and just started
recording bird calls and songs, but have a few question regarding the
equipment I'm using and others about how to put my transfer my cassette
recordings into my computer as .mp3 files.

EQUIPMENT

I have a  SENNHEISER microphone with a little "box" attached to it that its
also SENNHEISER MZA14 P48 that I think its an amplifier, but not really
sure. Both the mic and the "little box" have switches on them. The mic has
three red switches, one with a little line going straight and then UP, the
other one with a line going UP and then straight and the other switch has a
"-10dB". What do this mean and what are they for? The "little box" has thre=
switches that u can be pushed up, the leave in the centre or push down. The
first one says on the top "EIN", on the bottom "TEST" and in the middle it
says "AUS" (I'm thinking it's the ON button and the Battery test button).
The second button says on top "-10dB", the middle says "0dB", and in the
bottom it says -20dB. The third button says on top "80Hz", the middle one
says "20Hz", and bottom says "140Hz". What do this do and mean and what are
they for?

I also have a SONY TCM-5000 tape recorder and a SONY MD MZ-R700. Do both
work for recording and what do you recommend should use?

MANAGEMENT

I have many recordings in cassette that where recorded by my grand father I
wanted to preserve them for future generations of birdwatchers in the famil=
and friends. How can I transfer these recordings from cassette to my
computer as .mp3 files?

Thank you so much for all your help with this. I can't wait till I go to th=
field and record some Warbler "chips" that are migrating down to South
America.

Best wishes, happy birding and happy recordings.

Adrian Ganem Sada

Monterrey, Mexico.