Re: soundsoap

Subject: Re: soundsoap
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:49:06 -0600
At 7:58 AM -0800 10/30/05, Martyn Stewart wrote:
>http://www.bias-inc.com/soap2movie/
>

>the above is a movie of the new soundsoap software for those who feel they
>need more noise elimination in their recordings.
>

>A good tool that's for sure.
>

>Martyn

I bought Soundsoap last summer and I've used it to help isolate calls
from the background as with ID purposes. These results were most
successful when I also used parametric EQ "upstream," in front of a
modest Soundsoap setting.  To my ear, SS uses shelf filtering when
notch filtering is more effective-- which is no real surprise
considering what the app is trying to do in one "plug."

For ambient recordings where "foreground" sounds have marginal
separation from the background, the re-synthesis SS uses is quite
audible. Settings able to sufficiently address the hiss and lower
register noise bands lent the background a washy, dull character
every time I tried using it.  It takes more time, but a good,
parametric EQ plug might prove more successful for these needs.   Rob
D.