vintage UHER M815 microphone

Subject: vintage UHER M815 microphone
From: Rafael Marquez <>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:26:20 +0200
Hello all

I have been given a vintage UHER M815 long shotgun microphone and I
am trying to find its specifications before trying it with a modern
recorder.  It is a yard-long aluminum cylinder with a switch with
three levels of attenuation: 0, -7, and -20 dBs, and it comes with a
cable finished by UHER's usual multi-pin microphone (male) plug.  I
tried a web search with no success.

Does anyone know anything about it?
Particularly I would like to know if it requires external power?
Pre-amp? Phantom?
What is the connection diagram for the multi-pin UHER microphone plug
(and the conversion to XLR)?

Thanks for any feedback

Rafael

PS.  I am trying to set up a new comparative test between the Oade
modified vs out-of- the- box Marantz PMD 660 following the kind and
helpful advice of the NR members that responded .  Maybe next week I
will have it rigged up, the test I ran this week was not
satisfactory.  It is too bad I do not have a Gianni Pavan at hand to
teach me how to perform wonderful equipment tests like his!

--

Dr. Rafael Marquez
Fonoteca Zoologica, Dept. de Biodiversidad y Biologia Evolutiva

e-mail:
phone +34 91 4111328 ext 1257
fax +34 91 5645078
www.fonozoo.com