Re: Sony MZ-M100

Subject: Re: Sony MZ-M100
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:52:55 -0500
At 11:34 AM -0300 9/29/05, Jeremy Minns wrote:
>I guy here  in Brazil has asked me whether the Sony MZ-M100 is suitable fo=
>nature recording. Although I'm a recordist I don't know much about MDs. I
>had a look at the specs on the web and the MZ-M100 looked OK except for
>'Automatic gain Control - Yes'. The only consumer MD I have owned (which
>was stolen) had automatic gain control as default, only alterable via a
>menu, and was therefore practically useless for field use.
>
>Does anyone have experience with the MZ-M100? Does it have manual gain
>control as well as automatic?
>
>Jeremy

Hi Jeremy--

[Of course, the mics used will have a much bigger impact on quality
than the recorder most of the time.]

Sorry if this is redundant. Here's a comparison between the 722 and a
NH900.
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/PortPhantomHiMDReprtv01SorIMA.mov

  The mics are NT1-A's  (with very low 5.5dB(A) self noise to allow
the noise from the pres to be more evident). The HIMD is using a $70
Rolls PB224 portable phantom power  supply to provide the condenser
with phantom power. The output from the Rolls goes into the HiMD Mic
input. Its not a pre-- the Rolls just supplies power to the mics.

The HiMD mic pre circuits seem to have astoundingly low noise and
excellent high gain performance.  Yes, they have manual audio gain.
I enjoy the low removable media cost & saved time in the field
messing with usb transfers, especially on extended trips.  One can
record for 6 hours at ATRAC 3 on 1 $7 disc or 92 minutes @
16bit/44.1K uncompressed. I'd feel guilty asking for anything more in
such a low cost recorder. I just bought my second, an NH-910 recorder
for $170 and I own a 744T.  Rob D.

PS. The autogain is really bad except for voice up close.,
--
Rob Danielson
Film Department