Re: Audio Techica 3035/3032

Subject: Re: Audio Techica 3035/3032
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:39:43 -0500
At 11:31 PM +0900 9/27/05, Mark R. wrote:
>Hi All,
>  Recently heard the Audio Technica 3035 mic being used as a broadcast and
>voice recording mic and was impressed by the sound. Any thoughts in regard=
>to nature recording with this mic? Self noise at 12 dB spl and at $199.00 =
it
>looks like another NT1A. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT3035
>  Best,
>  Mark

The 3000 series does look interesting. Eric Benjamin mentioned the
3032 omni ~ month ago and he's been testing it. I'm sure he'll be
reporting on it soon. After a mic checks out on the bench it takes
several excursions to test field worthiness and get a sense of how
the mic responds to the broad bandwidth and low sound levels.

You just have to believe there are some very workable mics waiting
for field testing in the $300-$600/pair range. Add a HiMD, Rolls and
a DIY shock-mount you've got a very nice recording rig for a lot less
than what we paid a few years ago. The more I use the rode NT2-A in
M-S the more impressed I am with it. 7dB(A) self noise and less edgy
than the NT1-A.  I haven't tortured it in humidity yet. I probably
will this weekend. Rob D.
--
Rob Danielson
Film Department