Newbie Post & Qs

Subject: Newbie Post & Qs
From: "esandhaus" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:31:49 -0000
Hi all:

Great list here - I discovered it a few days ago and I've been
learning a lot just by browsing through the archives!!

I'm new to nature recording. I'm doing graduate work in animal
behavior. I've always been fascinated by bioacoustics and am finally
getting my feet wet with a study of giant panda vocalizations. I am
based in Atlanta but am currently in Chengdu, China at a giant panda
breeding facility. Lots of study subjects but pretty variable (and far
from what I'd consider "optimal") recording conditions.

I have been recording to DAT @ 48kHz using a Tascam DA-P1 and an
AT835b Line + Gradient Condenser Microphone (with a Rycote Softie
Shock Mount). Not cutting-edge (someday, someday...) but the equipment
was generously loaned to me by one of the institutions I work with and
from what I have read so far, I think it will suit my purposes quite
well.

I do have a question about DAT transfer that I was hoping to get some
input on.  My laptop does not have S/PDIF I/O.  So...I think my best
solution is to purchase an external audio interface (as inexpensive as
I can get away with) with  S/PDIF coaxial I/O. My laptop has four-pin
FireWire, USB 2.0, and PCMCIA Type II connectivity.=20=20

At this point I am considering the M-Audio Audiophile USB (right now
about $135).  It has S/PDIF coaxial I/O, though  I'm a little
disappointed that it is USB 1.1(slower transfers than 2.0, right?) and
is AC-powered (less portable), but hey=85I know on a tight budget
you make compromises. =3D)

But, there is an additional consideration, and that is that at some
point in the near future I may want to record (and play back) directly
to (and from) my laptop. In that case, would I be wise to spring some
extra bucks  (again, as few as I can get away with) on a soundcard
with built-in mic preamps? I am comparing:

The recently released Behringer B-Control Audio BCA2000 goes for about
$230. It has S/PDIF coaxial I/O, and 2 mic preamps. The specs on those
are:

Microphone inputs (IMP Invisible Mic Preamp)
Type XLR balanced
Gain range +10 to +60 dB
Frequency response 10 Hz - 200 kHz (-3 dB)
Impedance approx. 2.2 k&#8486;&#61472;(balanced)
Max. input level +10 dBu (@ +10 dB Gain)
Signal-to-noise ratio 108 dB (112 dB A-weighted)
Distortion (THD+N) 0.005 % (0.004 % A-weighted)

An alternative to the Behringer is  the M-Audio FastTrack Pro, which
is going for about $250.  Again, it has the S/PDIF coaxial I/O that I
currently need, and 2 mic preamps, though is only USB 1.1 compliant.
The specs on those are:

Mic Inputs (A/D)
Input Impedance 2.7k Ohms unbalanced, 5.4k Ohms balanced
Maximum Input Level from +24dBu @ min gain, pad on to -40dBu @ max
gain, no pad Channel-to-Channel Crosstalk < -110dB
SNR -101dB, A-weighted
Dynamic Range 101dB, A-weighted
THD+N 0.005% (-86dB) @ -1dBFS, 1kHz
Frequency Response 20Hz to 20kHz, +/- 0.1dB
Pre-amp Gain >40dB
Pad -20dB pad

Will these preamps be OK for my purposes or will I really need to
spring for a separate preamp anyway?

If there is anything important that I am overlooking (or
misunderstanding), please do not be shy in pointing me in the right
direction. I thank you in advance for any input you might have!

Estelle