RE: Shure 183 > Sony DAT, MD

Subject: RE: Shure 183 > Sony DAT, MD
From: "Allen Cobb" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:46:44 -0500
I got the same "bottoming" effect running a pair of NT1A's into
the Marantz 670. It cleared up with the low shelf enabled.
Although it didn't seem to correlate with very soft air
movement, I suspect that was the cause, or perhaps VLF nodes of
some kind. The unshelfed recordings showed clear LF clipping
when I examined the WAV files.

I occasionally use the Microphone Madness earbud binaural mics
for testing, but I must say, they seem to have no dynamic range
at all. They produce crunchy static when the SPL gets over about
90 (wild guess == mildly loud). Terrible LF response. Great for
recording phone conversations, though.

Allen Cobb

http://acobb.com
http://shakespeare.acobb.com