Re: HHB FlashMic and Nagra ARES-M

Subject: Re: HHB FlashMic and Nagra ARES-M
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:22:41 -0500
At 9:15 PM -0700 9/18/05, Dan Dugan wrote:
>oryoki wrote,
>
>>Rather than put the recorder in a mic handle,
>>Nagra is now offering a cell-phone size recorder
>>with a mic capsule attached at the top.  Like
>>the HHB FlashMic, the ARES-M has 1GB of internal
>>flash memory and a USB port to transfer recordings.
>>Unlike the FlashMic, the ARES-M has a way to
>>attach other mics via a cable.  Info here:
>>
>>http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/pages/products_ares_m.php
>>
>>I didn't see pricing for these new products.
>
>And it's stereo. $975, available in October (I'm a dealer).
>
>-Dan Dugan

Curious that Nagra suggests a dynamic mic or a 3 volt compatible
electret capsule mic for the external mic input. Makes me think about
Len's concerns about providing phantom power in ultra small units.
Anyone have comments about the unit's mic pre?  So that's 200mV from
a dynamic mic to produce -10dB FS?

Mic. Inputs        Miniature Jack
Microphone        -10 dB FS for 74 dB SPL.
Sensitivity        Approx. 200mV for -10dB FS (Dynamic)

Rob D.