Re: pink noise WAS historical recordings

Subject: Re: pink noise WAS historical recordings
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 06:19:37 -0700
Recommend doing spectrograms before, during and after. We've found
that some species of birds quiet down while others try to maintain
their acoustic niche within the biophony by becoming louder or more
active...even when that niche is covered by pink or white noise.
Frogs, in particular, seem to lose their chorusing ability during
periods of random masking noise (anthrophony, in particular, from
whatever source). Because our ears tend to compensate for the noise
(i. e. attenuate the effect), we cannot tell exactly what's going on
when anthrophony in relation to biophony occurs. A real good
spectrogram analysis reveals a lot of what's happening. We have
plenty of examples in that regard.

Bernie Krause

--
Wild Sanctuary