Min mV/Pa 4 HiMD pres (was electret...)

Subject: Min mV/Pa 4 HiMD pres (was electret...)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:55:03 -0500
At 7:04 PM +0200 9/3/05, Klas Strandberg wrote:
<snip>

>  > >That is: If you use a NH900 - then you can use any electret providing=
 more
>>  >than xx mV/Pa with a self noise lower than 14 db(A). If you do, you do=
n't
>>  >have to worry about the NH900 input noise. The noise you get, is from =
the
>  > >electret.
>  >

Rob D asked:

>Makes sense in theory. Can I ask you how you came up with 14dB(A)?

Klas replied:

>I measured, just as one should. I have the Sennheiser meter with the
>normalized filters.

Rob D followed:

What is it you measured?  The self noise of a reference mic or,..??
I'm still curious about how you arrived at that number.  Just to be
clear: This number would be the minimum self noise figure (actual,
not just manuf specs, somtimes) for a mic used with an NH900 mic pre,
regardless of mic sensitivity, where the pre would produce more noise
than the mic. Right? Wrong?

Rob D. asked

>>Are you addressing electret mics only in this
>>summary?   I mean, they have higher self noise as
>>rule compared to condensers.

Klas Replied:

>No, not only electrets. But I think that the ones going for phantom powere=
>condensor mics (usually) have other recorders than Walkman types.

Rob D. followed:
This may be less and less the case with people using a $70 portable
phantom unit like the Rolls. That's how I found that the low noise
performance of the NH900 was good, connecting the NT1A's through a
Rolls.