Using a Telinga Stereo DAT Mic without parabola

Subject: Using a Telinga Stereo DAT Mic without parabola
From: "Dana Blackmer" <>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:38:17 -0000
I am considering buying a Telinga stereo DAT mic and parabola to go
with my newly purchased HHb Portadisc.  I know that, with good
technique, I can get good species-specific recordings, but I want to
be able to get ambiance recordings as well.  I do not yet own any
mics.=20

Since I have to limit myself to $2000 USD or less for mics, would
using the Telinga stereo DAT mic without the parabola be a good choice
for ambiance?  Have others done this?  What other options might you
consider?