Beginner Equipment - Once more into the breech...

Subject: Beginner Equipment - Once more into the breech...
From: "Dana Blackmer" <>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:24:53 -0000
Like all novice nature recordists (and in my case, one that has not
yet purchased any equipment!), I am looking for advise on what to
buy.  I know that this is a perennial question frequently asked in
the group, but since everyone's needs are different and I haven't
seen anything in the archives that is specific to what I'm thinking
of doing.  So, I'm hoping that some of you can share your thoughts
with me.

Here are some things I'm thinking about doing:

1.  I would like to record ambiences to supplement my nature
photography.  I envision playing a soundtrack in a room full of my
photographs or in a gallery, where people might be able to listen to
a CD on headphones that plays a different track for each
photograph.  If it helps to see what I'm up to photographically, you
can check out my website - www.danablackmer.com

2.  I'd like to mix ambiences with "closeups" of specific creature
voices on different tracks using Adobe Audition, making a convincing
stereo composite of sounds.

3.  I envision taking both my photography and recording equipment to
some locations, setting up the recording equipment in a good spot,
and quietly photographing around the area as I capture some sounds
to work on later.  I wouldn't do it this way all the time, of
course, but would like to have the capacity to "set it and forget
it" at times.

4.  My budget is around $2000 - $2500.

5.  I live in Richmond, VA which is about as humid in the summer as
it gets, so I'd like equipment that is reasonably humidity tolerant.

6.  I seldom go on really long hikes, so extreme portability is not
a great concern, but I'd rather not carry a Buick into the field.
Additionally, I have no problem with shelling out the extra bucks
for compact flash cards, as I can use them in my digital cameras,
too.

7.  I want to get equipment relatively soon.  I've been reading and
surfing the web for information for a few months now and am
beginning to chomp at the bit about getting out into the field and
making my own mistakes!

I hope this helps you in making some recommendations.  If it
doesn't, please let me know what other information you might need.
I had originally thought about spending more money and going for the
Sound Devices 722 and MKH30/40, but the more I thought about it, the
more I felt that I would be better served by learning on simpler
equipment.  I downloaded the 722 manual and was not convinced that I
could even understand how to operate it!  I'm wondering about a HiMD
vs. the soon to be released M Audio MicroTrack (that hasn't even got
some specs listed yet, so I'd have to wait and see what those looked
like to people more able to translate what they mean than I am).
I'm also wondering about the Shure VP88 microphone vs. a two
microphone stereo setup.  I'd like to get microphone(s) that I could
use to obtain a stereo ambience as well as use with a parabola to
get specific creature voices to add to a final mix.

Well, that's about all I can think of to tell you for now.  I hope
it helps.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dana Blackmer