RE: recovering erased MD tracks

Subject: RE: recovering erased MD tracks
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
> Now, once in a while, when I press the keys to enter "Pause-Recording"
> mode, it displays "Overwriting" followed immediately by "Disk Full".
> >From that moment, it is impossible to read track #1. The track number is
> displayed, but when I try to read it, the counter stays at 0:00. When I
> delete track 1, that makes the expected unused time available once
> again... Last week, I have lost two interesting tracks due to that
> problem.
>
> Is that inherent to MD technology, or should I just dump the Portadisc ?

This is NOT a problem I've encountered with a dozen models of consumer MD!
I've had two decks with TOC problems from bad manufacturing, and one other
that I managed to physically wear out (mechanical bits), but what you
describe is way out of spec. What kind of blanks do you use...?

I've used almost entirely Sony ES, a now-discontinued (I believe)
"premium" grade disk I liked for its solidity and for the fact that I
could write on the disk itself with a fine tip sharpie.

> Is there any tool available on the market to recorver lost tracks ?

See minidisc.org for info on how to "clone" a TOC over onto a disc to
recover audio on it using various consumer decks.

My MD-data based system ("MDTE" minidisc transfer editor) was from a
company called EDL in the UK which lets you scan for audio on disks with
corrupted TOCs, but it's never been a polished system and may be
discontinued now.

 best
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org