Re: new recorder

Subject: Re: new recorder
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:57:28 -0500
At 12:08 PM -0400 7/28/05,  wrote:

>Let me be a little clearer. If you use an outboard 48v phantom power
>supply to power your condenser mikes, rather than using the built-in
>phantom power, M-Audio claims the MicroTrack's battery life goes up
>from three hours to eight hours record time. Since I already have an
>outboard 48v phantom supply, that's a tradeoff I may be willing to
>make.
>
>As for mike pre's: M-Audio products in general have been much more
>tuned in to the need for decent pre's than Marantz; Marantz has a
>long history of problems with their field recorders' mike pre's. But
>again, I'll wait to hear them in action before I critique them.

Yes, confirming performance before buying any recorder these days
would be prudent, unfortunately.  It is fortunate, however, that we
recordists can work together and figure out what works though.  I'm
concerned at M-Audio is not providing key info with all the pro and
amateur discussion about it. Maybe the unit is still be in late
stages of design, even. As far as I've read,  the M-Audio products,
(interfaces only? thus far) have had low mic pre gain, 40-45dB.
Please don't read this as sour grapes, I'm trying to promote use of
the info we do have.

As for compact flash, do people buy, like, 10-1GB compact flash chips
to take on a weekend excursion?  The 1GB HiMD, resuable, discs are $7
each. CF seems like a lot of dough. I get 3-5 hours on one AA
battery, rechargeble. I haven't managed to exhaust the two 9 volt
batteries in my phantom supplies yet. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department