Re: Homemade Windscreens

Subject: Re: Homemade Windscreens
From: greg <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:57:58 -0700
Jerry,

Different types of  fabric can be used for different wind speeds and a lot=

of this has been discussed on this list in the past. For lower speed wind
thin, sheer fabrics like nylon stockings, that are "stretchy" can be a good=

choice because they conform to the device used to form the wind baffle (or=

dead air space). Rich Peet put me onto cotton T-shirt material and I have
found that it also conforms well, and has little self noise. It is also
possible to find camo colored cotton fabrics that help to blend your
windscreen in with the foliage around you. For large parabolas I have also=

used soft, stretchy speaker cloth. If the surface is large you have to be
careful that the fabric doesn't luff, or come loose from the underlying
structure that creates the dead air space. For higher winds the approach
shifts to material that is more likely to lose some signal in exchange for=

getting rid of the wind. These "fluffy" fabrics are like the material in
long-hair car seat covers. The long hair can allow one to record in much
higher wind so long as the surroundings are not full of noise from the wind=

(like pine needles). Rich Peet invented a clever wind screen out of a
Shop-Vac filter element, foam, and nylon stocking that is amazing at
blocking wind. However, his design is for short mics that fit in the filter=

element. In this design the filter provides the underlying structure and
dead air space all in one piece. Regardless of material, look for a fabric=

that does not make self noise when the wind blows across it. If you choose=

your windscreen material to blend in with the rest of your clothing you
will have more opportunities to move without drawing as much attention to
yourself. When you are in view of the target you want to minimize the human=

shape and maximize the blend with the habitat you are in. A windscreen can=

provide a useful mechanism for this as well as the original intent to
create a dead air space.

Greg Clark

At 06:35 PM 7/24/05, you wrote:
>What kind of cloth works well for homemade windscreens?  I want to make a
>windscreen for a Sony ECMDS70P stereo mic
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>

>Jerry Berrier
>
><http://www.townisp.com/~jerry.berrier>http://www.townisp.com/~jerry.berri=
er

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg

w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=3DSc=
ience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DwC7FY9XfJGn6Hl50v-X4f=
w>Natural
>sound
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DRecording+technique&w1=3DNatural+=
sound&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w=
5=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DcF16ChvZS0ZZ5cu=
vA1UZ1A>Recording
>technique
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DComputer+science&w1=3DNatural+sou=
nd&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=
=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3D64wM8rCZIQIu2Usa=
R-O_9w>Computer
>science
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DPopular+science&w1=3DNatural+soun=
d&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=3D=
Science+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DPBFgubjkbh_8XFIiZ7G=
AmA>Popular
>science
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+education&w1=3DNatural+so=
und&w2=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=
=3DScience+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3DtGH8iUZVW4wGFZT-=
il3vvw>Science
>education
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=3Dms&k=3DScience+job&w1=3DNatural+sound&w2=
=3DRecording+technique&w3=3DComputer+science&w4=3DPopular+science&w5=3DScie=
nce+education&w6=3DScience+job&c=3D6&s=3D127&.sig=3Dv6eAHhRAFRhaj6BDtihM2g>=
Science
>job

>    *
> <=3DUnsubscrib=