Re: Mimics and mistakes

Subject: Re: Mimics and mistakes
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:11:23 -0700
Interesting house finch - definitely some cardinal notes in there...

I've noticed this phenomenon a few times myself, with the following species
pairs: Lincoln's Sparrow with Mourning Warbler song notes, MacGillivray's
Warbler with Magnolia Warbler song notes (and vice versa) and Connecticut
Warbler with Ovenbird song notes.

My theory regarding the cause is somewhat similar to yours: the young birds
have somehow learned the wrong song notes during their 'impressionable'
stage of life (nestlings?). It seems to fit because both species in the
various pairs use the same habitat and often nest/sing in close proximity t=
each other...who knows for sure...

I like the sonogram notes compared side by side. I've relied on my ears, bu=
it's nice to see the song properties to confirm the similarities. I've only
recorded a couple examples (likely poor quality), which are buried somewher=
- but I'll try to dig them out for you in the coming weeks.

Mark Phinney