Psuedo Binaural

Subject: Psuedo Binaural
From: "Mark R." <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:47:53 +0900
Hello Group Members,
   In some recent post concerning canyon frogs, there was some inquiry into
the wonderful sound that was captured by Aaron Ximm. Although I cannot speak
for Aaron's methods, I have some thoughts about the mics used and the use of
the windscreen headband.
   Several years ago, I went on a search for recording gear so that I could
record thunderstorms that are marvelously rich in sound in springtime in
Oklahoma. At that time, I really didn't know what I wanted until I got
deeper into the search. I ran upon the Sonic Studios site and it linked to
Aaron's Quiet American site. The recordings there were fantastic in detail
and exactly what I had hoped to find. So I purchased several models and
found that although it looks a little funny to wear the windscreen headband,
it took all of the guesswork of mic placement, because for the most part
what you hear goes onto the recording. Place your head and ears in the sweet
spot and you do your own monitoring with your naked ears. I own some in-ear
binaurals and they sound fantastic *if* you listen on headphones for play
back, but the Sonic windscreens and headband place the mics a little forward
and outward of your ear, and to my ears provides very listenable recording
with both headphones and monitors. I suspect this is why Aaron refers to his
method as quasi or pseudo binaural and the key to it sounding nice on almost
any system.
   Best,
 Mark