Re: HiMD Mic preamp noise update

Subject: Re: HiMD Mic preamp noise update
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:35:54 -0500
Rob Danielson wrote:

> There's a noticeable increase in noise with the NT-4 that I'd like to
> hear your thoughts about.  The MP2 preamp does seem to lower  the
> noise with the NT-4 and the curious thing is the NT3 and Nt4 both have
> very similar self noise (16 and 17dBA) and exact sensitivity specs
> (12dBA).

I've wondered about this too, Rob. Your presentation seems to show
signal and noise to be about the same out of both pres with the NT-3
feeding them. But you needed 14db make-up gain in the NT-4 > HiMD test
to match the rest. I suspect that's where the noise is coming from, but
right now can't imagine why...

Curt Olson