Mono Vs. Stereo

Subject: Mono Vs. Stereo
From: "Jerry Berrier" <>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:05:50 -0400
Hi all,

I'm an amateur, and my goals are pretty basic.
I like recording nature, and I like recording sounds that fascinate me.  I
think I have somewhat of an ear for quality, but my budget is very limited.

I recently purchased the Sennheiser K6, ME66, and ME62, so I now have a
short shotgun mic and an omni-directional mic.  They both suit my needs
well, up to a point.  Now that I have these two monaural mics and have been
doing some recording with them, I realize that I want to be able to make
stereo recordings.  I like the sound of stereo, and I think it adds a sense
of reality that is missing in all of my mono recordings.
I'm considering buying another K6 power module and using the two mics I
already have, perhaps mounted on a "stereo bar".  I could point the shotgun
toward the main focus of my recording, while picking up ambient sound with
the Omni.  Of course I'd need the proper cable to plug both mics into my
minidisk recorder simultaneously.

Have any of you tried this sort of thing?  If so, how were the results?
Should I instead purchase a single stereo microphone?

Thanks for any input.
Jerry Berrier

http://www.townisp.com/~jerry.berrier