RE: NAB Cantar

Subject: RE: NAB Cantar
From: "Roberto van Eijden" <>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 21:38:55 +0200
> Hopefully, the Cantar is everything the promo claims. Reports like
> Roberto's are crucial when manufs pour on the adjectives without
> providing basic specs like mic pre input noise and gain.

I do not have the equipment to measure that, but I can only tell you that
noise was never a complaint on the Cantar users Mailing list.
Most developing stuff that came by in the 2 years was/is Operational &
Cosmetic corrections, or Timecode related changes, never it was mic amp
related.

> http://www.aaton.com/products/sound/cantar/specs.php
>
> Or maybe they are published somewhere else? As a point of reference,
> the KMR-82 i shotgun is spec'd with self noise of 23dBA and a
> sensitivity of 18-21 mV/Pa,  Maybe not the best mic to judge mic
> preamp performance in quiet locations.

That can & might be the case if one does Nature recordings, and i must
admit, that is not my main profession.
I do work in Studio's that are soundproof, but that's also never as quiet as
some far away forest in the middle of nowhere :-).
I never heard any noise that alarmed me, and before the Cantar I used a
Nagra Digital. The sound a bit the same, only with the Cantar you do hear
the Trafo's in , imo, a positive way.

But, as usual, tests are telling the numbers, and one's own ears are the
best to judge the sound of a machine. For me the basic thing was and is that
it has to work, always, and must sound ( very ) good.

Roberto van Eijden, Amsterdam