Re: Marantz PMD650

Subject: Re: Marantz PMD650
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 22:59:05 -0000
"spirit6204" asked:
> ...explain the significant differences, if any,
> for field application between the PMD 650 and 680...

The PMD650 records to audio CDs.  The recorder is large and heavy, and
requires an extra-large external battery if you can't plug in to mains
power.  The recorder needs to be held level while recording so the CD
is horizontal in the machine.  And when you're finished recording one
disc, it takes about two minutes for the machine to write the
directory of the disc.  These features argue against using the PMD650
as a field recorder.  It's a fine machine when you are "on location"
with a table and an electric outlet nearby, and the recording session
allows you to record 80 minutes or less (the capacity of a CD recorded
in stereo) per cut.

The PMD680 (mono) and PMD690 (two channels) are Marantz's first
machines that record to a PCMCIA hard disc or Compactflash.  They are
better recorders than the PMD650 for field recording. But both are now
discontinued.  Marantz's new designs benefit from extra development
work, so I'd suggest that you should avoid the 680 and 690 in favor of
the newer 660, 670 or 671.=20

--oryoki