Re: Marantz PMD's

Subject: Re: Marantz PMD's
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 22:28:00 -0500
At 11:39 PM +0000 5/1/05, spirit6204 wrote:
>--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>>  At 6:38 PM +0000 5/1/05, spirit6204 wrote:
>>  >Greetings,
>>  >
>>  >I am a new kid here and a kindergartener at nature recording doing
>>  >some equipment research. Two of the professional practitioners that I
>>  >was in contact with prior to this forum use the Marantz PMD 650. I
>>  >have not been able to locate a 650, but did find a source for a like
>>  >new 680.
>>  >
>>  >Is there an "ear" in the group who could explain the significant
>>  >differences, if any, for field application between the PMD 650 and 680?
>>  >I would like to use the best tackle for my non-commercial interests
>>  >and entry-level expertise that is within budget. As a beginner, would
>>  >you recommend that perhaps I may be better off to use an analog unit
>>  >such as the Sony TCM-5000EV to start my learning curve with before
>>  >going digital? Any comments would be most appreciated. Thank you for
>>  >your considerations.
>>  >
>>  >Best regards,
>>  >
>>  >John J. Weber
>>  >Waukau, Wisconsin
>>  >

>>  Hi John. Igo through Omro pretty often to see friends up that
>>  direction. Mics have more impact on quality than recorders and should
>>  probably be considered at the same time. What type of recording are
>>  you doing/planning for? Do you have mics already, what kind?  or What
>>  is your total budget if you haven't bought anything yet?  Rob D.
>----------------
>Hello Rob,
>
>Thank you for your note. A small world -  to say the least. I have not
>purchased a microphone as yet, and have been researching them at the
>level of the recorders, and I am aware of their importance. My
>interest is primarily with birds, insects, frogs, etc.
>
>I have a  Sony BM-21 cassette recorder without a receiving system as
>yet. I thought I would locate an effective microphone and adapt it to
>a "handle" affixed to a 20" parabolic made from a bird feeder squirrel
>baffle - modified to factor the focal point, etc. The Talinga Pro V is
>a bit of a stretch to start up with - so, I thought I could configure
>my own at this stage of my interest to get started.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>    John

A number of users have submitted good reports about using the Shure
183 omni lavaliere  capsule in parabolas and for the money, I don't
think you'd be disappointed.  The mic is purchsed in two parts

(1) 2-  Shure C122 cables
http://www.shure.com/accessories/c122.asp and

(2) Shure R183 replacement capsules
http://www.shure.com/accessories/r183b.asp

from a Shure parts supplier and then do some soldering to make a
recorder compatible plug.
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/ShureWR-183WiringNoTA4M's.jpg

you can buy one set if you want mono and two for stereo. Yes, stereo
parabola micing, check the list archives.

Wired as suggested above, the mic runs off of (PIP) or plug in power
supplied by most MD recorders, DAT walkman and the Marantz.

Your BM-21 probably has automatic record gain which will drive you
nuts with a dish. I'd consider a Sony HiMD 910 and two 183's for a
stereo parabola before investing in the Marantz.  Rob D.

  = = =

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department