Re: Mics now? Re: preamps

Subject: Re: Mics now? Re: preamps
From: Charles Bragg <>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:22:12 -0700
At 10:42 AM 4/26/2005 +0200, Klas Strandberg wrote:

>My spontaneous reaction is that you can't use a 27 dbA noisy microphone for
>naturesound recording, except perhaps in a parabol. I'm certain that it is
>microphone noise which is heard on the recordings.

        OK, thanks to Rob I now know how to use S/N figures to derive
self-noise. And, thanks to my winning a share of the French lottery (just heard
about it in an email) I am looking for quieter *small* mics. What I have seems
to be the quietest one that Sound Professionals sell.
        I am curious about the Telinga stereo DAT mic (for when the lottery
money comes in). What is the S/N for this setup?

        -- Chuck

========
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager