Re: Whooo's this owl?

Subject: Re: Whooo's this owl?
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 04:43:14 -0000
> Hi John;
> Barred owls do make descending calls like that, so thats' probably
what it is. However, if the bird was in old growth forest the other
choice would be a Spotted owl. They also have a variety of sounds.
> John Neville
> British Columbia Canada

Thanks John.
I think there may still be some old growth there, but I'll have to
check into it.
The first time I heard the owl was a couple weeks ago, just before
dawn as I arrived to the spot. I was walking down a trail when I heard
a two part call that ended descending, but it wasn't a trill like in
what I recorded, or like the descending trill ending of barred owl on
the Peterson CD.
The next time I heard it was a week later in the late afternoon, first
it was similar to the first time, but then further down the trail and
a bit closer to it, I heard a wailing cry =96 twice and each a few
seconds long and separated by a second or two.  It reminded me of a
barn owl but not so unpleasantly screechy, but it wasn't as nasal
sounding, I don't think, as the similar sounds I've heard in examples
of the Barred Owl.  Later that evening is when I recorded it: it only
called once about a half hour after dusk.
I want to get back there soon to investigate more, but my schedule is
packed full until the 30th - or maybe a sick day on the 28th?
John Hartog