nature recording while bike touring

Subject: nature recording while bike touring
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:38:42 -0000

Coincidentally, last week Don Kroodsma and Walt both mentioned bike touring
while
I was repairing my panniers and getting ready for a five day bike tour of
central
Oregon with four bike enthusiast spring-breaking college student friends of
mine.  Of
course, bike touring the Pacific NW in mid March is an insane idea if you value
comfort in any way at all.  I packed heavy on extras to assure my warmth-  a
tent
with room inside for all my gear, two sleeping bags, full length sleeping pad,
extra
socks etc.  I was the only one not to complain about a poor night's sleep.  For
recording gear I packed ultra light: Shure WL-183s set up to strap to a tree
and a
Sony MZ-N707 MD walkman.  It was hard to drag myself out of  bed and into the
icy
mix of rain and snow, so I missed most of the best dawn chorus, but even so I
got
some nice stuff.
Here are a few snippets:

I wonder what bird makes the blurp-blurp sound? (1.4MB)
http://www.rockscallop.org/biketour/JH-050321-am-c.mp3

Our camp at the beaver pond was my favorite.  What is it called when a beaver
slaps
its tail on the water? (2.1MB)
http://www.rockscallop.org/biketour/JH-050321-beaver.wav

I know the Pacific Chorus Frog, but what the heck is that screech - an owl?
(1.1MB)
http://www.rockscallop.org/biketour/JH-050321-screechfrog.mp3

-John Hartog