Re: Safari/Photo Vests

Subject: Re: Safari/Photo Vests
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:21:04 -0500
From: "Donald Weiser" <>

> If anyone needs a safari/photo vest, I found the place.  I have
> nothing, as in zero, to do with these people except that their vests
> are great with many pockets and only $39.95!  They come in khaki,
> olive drab, black, and camo.  Only thing is, if you order one,
> they're cut HUGE.  I'm a size large but their medium (44" chest) is
> big on me as they're cut to fit OVER big heavy coats and gear so
> take that into account.
> http://www.razorlimit.com/safvesgray.html
> Again, just passing this on because I like the vest so much and for
> the low price. Lots of pockets for all my recording gear.

I like the pocket arrangement of the Domke better. I've worn out several
of them over the years. The payment for the soft cloth that's so
comfortable on the Domke is less durability. The Safari looks like it
would have the same problem. Domke have more open mesh than the Safari
as well so I think they are cooler in hot weather.

I'd love to get a look at Portabrace's offering, but have never seen one
except on some pro rushing by. So have never had a chance to really look
it over. It looks to be heavier built than these others. Might take
longer to wear out. Since it's built for ENG and video, it would be a
little closer to the needs of sound recording I think.

I should really design and build a custom one just like I'd like. That's
probably the only way to get the perfect vest.