Re: intro with project questions (long)

Subject: Re: intro with project questions (long)
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:44:35 -0800
Welcome, John!

>I live
>in Juneau, Alaska so my images involve my fantastic
>location.

I'll never forget hiking from the end of a street in town up to the
snow line in a couple of hours.

>Because of the film/camera/viewer combinations
>available, medium-format stereo images are able to deliver a
>real "sense of place".   I want to further that "sense of
>place" by making binaural recordings of the scene as I am
>photographing it.  The viewing experience would then include
>a little mp3 player and headphones.  Your eyes and ears
>would all be taken back to the location and time where the
>image was made.

That's a great idea. For an exhibition you could loop the recordings
and let people go from station to station...

>With that in mind, I recently purchased a MD recorder via
>ebay and a set of Core clip-on mics from Core.

Good plan. You'll want to build a custom windscreen system.

>Option (A) puts me back in the ebay mixer where I can make
>the same mistake again, burn up some more money on shipping
>and get something that might work without getting in trouble
>with the HFC.

I've had good and bad luck with buying MDs on eBay. One was great.
One was DOA and the seller took it back. One failed a week later and
became a playback-only machine.

-Dan Dugan