Re: Nature recording 101

Subject: Re: Nature recording 101
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:07:51 +0000
Good questions, which I for one will be following along with as I try to ri=
g something for my current mics.  Is there a lower limit for the ID of the =
zeppelin compared to the OD of the mic element?  Would someone care to reca=
p briefly the reason for the choice of fake fur?     Is it particularly aco=
ustically transparent?  I mean, why not cotton or tarlatan?  My mics have l=
ow cut switches, designed primarily for proximity effect, but could the kno=
wn curve of that contribute to screen design?  BTW, I don't know modern mic=
s very well, how common are low cuts?  Or have designers found other soluti=
ons for proximity effect?  (which wind noise almost seems to be a variety o=
f, it strikes me).=20

Ken

I do have several mics I'd like to
outfit better and could do some tests if there's
some agreement on key test variables.

Putting how to create a realistic, "control" wind
and materials aside,  is there an incoming-wind
angle) that is usually most challenging for mics
or is there variation from mic to mic here?
(Like, head on?)  Putting tent size baskets
aside, would it be worth it to test fairly small
differences in basket size or just start off with
"adequate size" and try much larger and smaller
scales?  Do we have any idea about the effects of
head positioning for different polar patterns
inside of the basket or is  "roughly in the
middle of the sphere shaped basket" good enough?