Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?

Subject: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:51:39 -0800 (PST)
> Has anyone tried these mics from Microphone Madness:
>
> http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmhlsomsenmi.htm
> http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmhigsencars.htm

I have a pair of the latter (cardioids) mounted on their goosnecks, I got
the tripod to go with them, and a pair of minicat rycote fur windshields
for them to boot.

IMO they're OK; I'm quite used to the stunning ease of putting on DSM mics
on my head and just running. Setting the goosenecks to get a good stereo
image with the cardioids take a little more effort and of course is pretty
much a stationary activity. In theory you could carry them around but it'd
be awkward I think.

I was not blown away by them in terms of clarity and character, but I read
recently somewhere that this series of capsules wants a considerably
beefier power supply for "plug in power" than my little MD portables
provide; I've been meaning to experiment with a 9V-driven PIP module to
see if they are discernibly better that way...

Can't speak to the mini-omnis, but if you haven't been following the
discussion the Shure WL183s (about the same size as the cardioids from MM)
have been the new kid on the block lately.

Hopefully some local list members will be getting together to do shoot out
the WL183s, DPA 4060-based Core Sound HEBs, my Sonic Studios with and
without pre-, my Soundman OKMs, etc... :)

 best
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org

  |  quod omne animal post   |