Re: Minidisc preference?

Subject: Re: Minidisc preference?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:48:55 -0500
From: "cavity_nester" <>

> Hi all, just wanted to ask if anyone had tried different minidisc
> recorders for nature recording and would like to make a
> recommendation.  I am looking to buy one to use with a Sennheiser
> ME66/K6 mic combo while in Panama this spring/summer.  I have my eye
> on either the MZ-R30 or MZ-R50 as a budget option.

I used two MZ-R30's for a number of years before going to the HHb
Portadisc. They are very good, well built recorders. Most likely the
first thing to fail on one would be the tiny switches under the buttons.
(you can replace those, they are in groups on tiny circuit boards.) I
still have both of those MZ-R30's, still running fine.

Both the MZ-R30 and MZ-R50 use ATRAC 4. This was the first ATRAC version
that could be called high quality. Only remaining significant quirks are
mostly above 16khz. And have to do with the quieter parts of the sound
at those high levels.

Both of these came with add on battery boxes. But I never found the life
of the Lion battery to be a problem. I always carried a spare charged
one, but rarely had need to change in the field. All depends on your
recording habits.

If you have the money, the HHb Portadisc is definitely a much better
field recorder, the best minidisc field recorder. But, for the money,
particularly now picking them up used off ebay, those two walkman are a
real bargain. I would prefer them over the newer options, which are
truly too small. Even these recorders have to be worked with carefully
to keep the tiny things from slipping from your hands when pushing buttons.