Re: What do you recommend

Subject: Re: What do you recommend
From: "sourdough5000" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:36:05 -0000
Hi Walt

Thank you for explaining your setup. I wonder if you could give us
what you equipment you use to get the Minidisc recordings onto your
hard drive of your computer?  And do you store them as .wav files?=20
Does anyone else have other ways of converting minidisc recordings to
burned CDs that they are happy with?  Thanks

Bruce

--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> From: hugo daniel robles <>
>

> > Hello to all ! here in Tucum=E1n, in the Northwest of Argentina,
in
South America, there is a great diversity of birds in the subtropical
forest at the mountains.
> > In the last years, I was interested more and more in doing
recordings of these birds, and really is my plan in the next years.
> > So I would like to receive your recommendations about what rig
did you experienced as the best in terms of being very silent (self
noise) and faithful for this job.
> > I have a pair of Sennheisers MKH, luckily, so my interest is in
first place your recommendations about preamplification , AD
conversion, and recorder.

> It might help to know what MKH you have and how you plan to use
them.

> Do you wish to record individual isolated birdcalls, or do you wish
> record them in their natural audio setting? The equipment needed
and
> techniques are quite different between those two methods.
>
> How far afield are you going to go? Will you have access to power
for
> charging batteries? Either AC, or from a car battery? Or how often
would
> you have access to charging power.
>
> I use a Telinga Pro 6 with DAT Stereo, several MKH based M/S stereo
> setups, two different modified SASS (also MKH). I sometimes use a
Sound
> Devices MP2 preamp, but it's not necessary a lot of the time as I
use a
> HHb Portadisc. I do virtually all my recording in stereo. I do most
of
> my recording where I have fairly ready access to a car battery for
> charging batteries. I can go anywhere up to a week or more without
> access, depending on just how many hours I record. And can go on a
long
> foray in my Ranger for very long periods without needing to come in
> copy recordings or anything.
>
> The big trick is to make your kit as portable as possible without
making
> too many compromises. It's much better to use a quality recorder so
you
> are not having to juggle preamps and so on. You should be mobile
with
> your equipment, ideally have a setup that you can pack in a
operable
> state and mics that are hand held. Every interconnect you have will
be
> that much more to snag on the brush and so on.
>
> I prefer minidisc because the recording media is cheap and is
archival.
> I don't have to worry about immediately copying the recordings
> elsewhere, in fact I always record on new media and archive it. The
> sound quality is excellent from my Portadisc.
>
> Solid state recorders are new and still a bit of a problem. The
memory
> cards are too expensive for a use once and archive system, so in
> extended field forays you will need a alternate storage system and
time
> to use it, and power for whatever that is. Hard disk recorders put
all
> your eggs in one basket, and that one that can be too easily
damaged
> under field conditions. Of all that's appeared so far in these new
> recorders I lean toward the Sound Devices offerings, or would when
they
> become available. There are quite a number of relatively
inexpensive