Re: Re: 8GB flash cards and Moyers speech on environment

Subject: Re: Re: 8GB flash cards and Moyers speech on environment
From: David Martin <>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:55:00 -0500
At 08:23 PM 1/6/2005, John Hartog wrote;

>Bernie wrote: "...here's a link to an 8GB Flash Card..SanDisk made
>one for under $700...which is about half of the price of the Lexar.
>http://www.digitaletc.com/item.php?ref=3Dfr&productid=3D8106";
>
>Thanks Bernie.
>Since I use a PMD670 I thought I would bring it up that in the FAQ
>section for the
>PMD670 ,<http://www.marantzpro.com/Products/PMD670.html>, it
>mentions:  "Typically standard cards with faster read/write speeds
>are best. You'll want to stay away from cards marked as "ultra" or
>anything else other than standard."
>The 8GB one at the link you gave says "Ultra II", so I'm not sure if
>it is compatible with the PMD670. I'm also not sure how big a card
>the PMD670 can handle: I thought it mentioned 4GB max somewhere.
>The biggest "standard" CF that SanDisk offers is apparently 4GB. The
>prices on these too are looking better all the time - less than $300
>now.
>So far I have only tried standard compact flash up to 1GB, so if
>anyone has had success with the PMD670 using types other than
>standard or with larger sizes, it would be good to know.
>-John Hartog

I was surprised to see that quote from the FAQ, as it's been my impression=

from reading photography reviews that the Ultra designation simply
indicates a higher read/write speed.

I've been using a 2 GB 40X Lexar WA compact flash card in my PMD 670.  It
works just fine.  The WA means write acceleration, which is supposed
increase the speed at which certain digital cameras can write the image to=

the card.  This feature is not supposed to be active unless the camera has=

the matching capability.

I wonder if data transfer from the card to the computer would be faster
with an Ultra card than a standard card, particularly  if one used a USB
2.0 compatible card reader.   I suspect that the data transfer from the
PMD670 to the computer is determined mainly by the PMD670 itself, so there=

probably is no any advantage with it.  I've never tested that, however.

David Martin