Re: LoHz Natural Locations/Representation

Subject: Re: LoHz Natural Locations/Representation
From: "Terry King" <>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:31:55 -0000

> It occurs to me that it would be extremely useful to get a totally quiet
> ambient recording, perhaps in the far north in dead of winter, which
is free
> of animal sounds or other nature sounds, but that has a great
spaciousness
> and a solid low end that is not contaminated by rumble. One could
filter out
> the high end of the recording using a low pass set somewhere below 1
kHz.
> Then the resulting recording could be used to mix with soundscapes
where the
> low end had to be filtered because of rumble.
>
> While this is cheating, to a degree, it would add back that deep
> spaciousness that is lost when the low end is or reduced.
>
> Lang

I'll be back in a very quiet Vermont Location this Summer. I won't
have a Winter there for a couple of years. I was already planning to
record some 'typical quiet background' soundscapes for reference.

I do not understand the source or characteristics of the low-end
sounds  being discussed here.  What is known about their source? Is
this from air mass movements?  Or the reflected , um.. Wait, I'm
REALLY confused, now.

We're talking about a very 'quiet' natural environment, with no
man-made sounds, and (for the purpose of this discussion) no animal
sounds.  So what IS above 'motionless non-vibrating air'??   Vegetable
sounds? (I have clearly heard a leaf hit ground in that environment).
The occasional tree limb rotting and falling?  The air mass can
obviously make sound waves if it moves, but that's a long variable
from 'still' air to hurricane.

Can someone comment, or point to research/info on this??  Sorry, but I
just have never thought through what the noise at the 'quiet' acoustic
noise floor IS!

Regards, Terry King   ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage