Re: LoHz Natural Locations/Representation

Subject: Re: LoHz Natural Locations/Representation
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:04:22 -0600
At 11:15 PM +0000 12/28/04, Rich Peet wrote:
snip
>  I want to do more of that this
>year and will go in search of a broke movie theater as a possible
>playground as I do need a bigger space than I currently have access
>to.

Some quality, public playback facilities in the area would be great.
Until I heard the model 1038B  Tri-amp'd Genelecs at the AES workshop
Bernie organized, I thought the only way to "play what I mixed" was
to drag around speakers and re-equalize for each setting. A 5.1
Genelec system would run around $30K though.

>snip
>
>What we need is something comparable to a gray scale for the photo
>people to quickly set a room by ear.  I guess the best material for
>that gray scale is pulled from reference material of spaces that we
>each already know well from having recorded in them a number of times.

Maybe this is a good gear/bad gear thing again.  If the D->A, amps
and speakers are high quality and the room is reasonably dead, one
can quickly dial up delicious sounds. Trying to calibrate for/match a
very modest home and theatre systems is much harder though more
common objective.

Regarding "Microphones are not ears, Loudspeakers are not birds," For
those who are listening for foreground calls, tonal inaccuracies are
much less objectionable because a "stack" of about 5-20 frequencies
is portrayed and its easier for the brain to figure out the actual
tones and concentrations. If a recording attempts to reach out and
include several, ongoing broad bands like "air,"  shimmering leaves,
a gurgling stream, its much harder for the mixer and the brain to
assemble accurate tonalities from the clues. "Space" also requires
considerably louder playback levels that some people just don't like.
Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department