Re: bug ID (no sound)

Subject: Re: bug ID (no sound)
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:53:42 -0500
They're a little hard to see in your pics, but I think they may be
collembolans, or springtails . . . also called Snow Fleas when found on snow
in the winter. They are often found floating on water, and may be found in
congregations at times:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/uniramia/parainsecta.html

You folks have been great at bird, herp, and insect song IDs,
but I'm wondering what this December hatching is.  I noticed
it from it's lavender color and thought they were seeds at
first, but when the specs squirmed and jumped off my fingers
I thought was really puzzled, especially this late in the
Illinois autumn.  I shot yesterday through a loupe, and there
were still some left today, so I grabbed a 35mm lens and shot
some vid clips through it backwards (optically, not in time).

Anyone have any idea what they are?  I fear they're termites.

http://feldman.gidnoy.com/photos/lavender_hatchlings.jpg
http://feldman.gidnoy.com/movies/Purple_bugs.mov

Sorry, there's no audio of interest here.

-- Mike

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."
Klas Strandberg

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292pbaqe/M=324847.5707096.6763800.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1705083663:HM/EXP=1102566751/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12is3j0lp/*http://clk.
atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1102480351239011>

Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to: