Re: noise reduction-parametric eq. RFI

Subject: Re: noise reduction-parametric eq. RFI
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:52:29 -0500
Jeremiah:

For clipped signals where the waveforms end up flat-topped, have you tried
the free Pro Tools Bomb Factory plug-in called Essential Clip Remover?

I haven't tried it yet.

Lang

Distortion is tough.  It's well nigh impossible to reconstruct a
signal which is recorded so hot as to be distorted beyond
intelligibility.

In mixing documentaries, I deal with a lot of stuff with occasional
clips where a voice or some other sound suddenly got loud.  I find
multiple passes with Waves X-Click, set to almost maximum settings,
will usually take the edge off the clipping and make it playable
alongside non-clipped stuff.

Filtering (as with Waves Q10) can help, and volume enveloping as
Martyn suggests is a fab idea.

Haven't tried Soundsoap.  I suspect it's worth playing with.

good luck

-jeremiah