noise reduction-parametric eq. RFI

Subject: noise reduction-parametric eq. RFI
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:14:38 +1000
John Hartog (Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:38:45 -0000) described how he went about
reducing unwanted noise using a parametric equaliser function of Cubasis
VST.  Even I could follow his explanation, and I'm very non-technical.
Thanks John.

That encourages me to try a bit harder to use the program I've got, which i=
Waves Q10.  It has what I take to be an excellent parametric equaliser.

However, right now I have a problem which I suspect is not amenable to the
procedures John has described, and maybe there is no solution, but I'd be
grateful for advice from this so-expert group ... even if only to confirm
that there's no fix.

A friend has some analogue audio cassettes of his father reminiscing about
his experiences as a radio operator on ships early last century.
Fascinating material, but unfortunately the tapes were made with the
recording level way too high, and severe distortion has resulted in some of
it being unintelligible.

There's some background noise which I can probably deal with.  And if I
can't, my good friend, Vicki Powys, has offered to help.  But is there
anything that can be done about the overload distortion?

I would be extremely reluctant to take these unique tapes away from my
friend's residence, and therefore I have copied one by playing it on my Son=
Walkman WM-DC cassette recorder and taking the line-out to a Tascam DAT
recorder.  The Walkman in play-back mode shows the recorded level of the
signal and this often went over +5 dB, which is why I fee reasonably
confident the problem is overload.

Any advice would be welcome.

TIA

Syd Curtis in Brisbane, Australia