Re: Line Out vs. Headphone Out

Subject: Re: Line Out vs. Headphone Out
From: "Terry King" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:08:27 -0000
--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:
> John V. Moore asked,
>
> >Can anyone please tell me the difference between using headphone
out and LINE
> >OUT when transferring audio cuts from ones cassette machine to a
computer.

> In some circumstances, however, the headphone output is a better
line
> output. For example, if you're driving a long cable (like going
into
> a studio patchbay) or feeding multiple inputs at the same time, the
> lower impedance of the headphone output will avoid high-frequency
> rolloff from cable capacitance or other loading effects.

If you're dealing with high-quality recordings and want to keep the
distortion as low as possible, I feel you should stick with the line
output because it normally is fed BEFORE the headphone power amplifier
which may have compromises on distortion, especially in
battery-powered equipment.  If you do use the headphone out, be
careful in adjusting the volume control on the player to find the best
compromise between noise (too low) and distortion (too high).  Dan has
a good point about long cable situations, though.