SF frog relocation follow up

Subject: SF frog relocation follow up
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:46:09 -0800 (PST)
Hey all,

On Doug's suggestion, I am forwarding the update I just received from
David Erickson, who wrote the call for volunteers I first posted, in case
anyone was wondering what happened with the frogs -- recorded and
otherwise!

Regarding the relocation, he writes:

"here is photo documentation of attendees, albeit, not yet complete:

 http://www.monkeyview.net/id/56/fr...0041114/index.vhtml

and here is a new posting of short term and long term plan proposed by the
biologist guy who was hired by Muni to coordinate the frog relocation:

 http://www.islaiscreek.com/IslaisCh...Frog.html

this has been a hell of a lot of work and we have been fighting with the
port, catellus, muni, puc, sf redevelopment, and plenty of industries who
have vested financial interests in our neighborhoods in the central and
southern waterfront here in sf."

Earlier this week, when I wrote to inquire after Doug's "wild frog chase"
misadventure with the recording playback, he wrote:

"thanks for the response, and yes, we did have a recording running that
the biologist, jim mckissock, a local pro in frog relocation reccommended
as a techinque in relocating frogs. unfortunately, the singing (mating
season) does not start till at least next month.

the showup was totally fine, not as much for such short notice, but a fine
mix of families, sierra club, and some locals from potrero hill and
vicinity, We actually found oney 2 frogs, and some newt eggs, but this
time of year is very hard to locate frogs, as they are hidden/dormant.
i will post this weekends photo on monkey view hopefully tonight."

So it certainly doesn't seem to be a "simulated" ecodisaster as I admit
I'd started to wonder... :)  Though I guess now we can debate the ethics
of using *frog* call playback in the (cough) wild... :)

Does anyone know Jim McKissock?

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org