Creating a public archive for field recordings

Subject: Creating a public archive for field recordings
From: "markkraft" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:05:13 -0000
Hi everyone. My name is Mark Kraft. I'm probably best known for
helping create LiveJournal.com, an online journaling/blogging
community of over 4M people. I also have a strong interest in field
recordings. As such, I recently created a community for them on LJ.

http://www.livejournal.com/~soundscapes

We just started this week, and have over 50 members. My hope is that
we'll eventually get people sharing field recordings in the community
much like they currently do in photography communities. If you'd like
to check it out or join the community, feel free... email me if you
need any help getting started.

I'm not here to plug the community, but to plug an idea I have that
is directly related to it. I'm interested in creating a permanent
public archive of field recordings on The Internet Archive (
archive.org ). Ideally, many different people will post their field
recordings to the Internet Archive, releasing the recordings under
public domain or under Creative Commons licensing (
http://www.creativecommons.org ) that allow others -- such as
independent musicians, filmmakers, students, and teachers -- to use
the recordings for their projects.

The Internet Archive currently allows musicians to freely upload an
unlimited number of recordings to their site. What I'm hoping to do
is to work with the Archive so that they have a section on their site
specifically for field recordings, nature sounds, sound effects,
samples, and other non-music recordings that haven't previously been
archived.

Although I have contacts at the Internet Archive, I may need a show
of support from interested parties in order to make it a reality. I'd
also need people who have recordings available to submit some of them
to the site once such an archive exists.

Once there is a category/section for such recordings, there would be
a lot of plusses to sharing your recordings through the Internet
Archive. Visibility, exposure, free hosting, free bandwidth, stable
webhosting... and a large public archive of recordings. all very good
things.

If this sounds like a valuble resource that you'd like to support,
please contact me at insomnia @ livejournal dot com . My
hope is that I can show the people at archive.org that there is
significant interest in this project, and that they'll back it
wholeheartedly.

I would also greatly welcome discussion, suggestions, and comments on
the matter.

Best -
mark