Re: Digest Number 1455

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1455
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:27:25 -0400
>    From: "hartogj" <>
> Subject: mp3 converter and website questions.
>
> First- mp3s: I use Itunes to convert wav files to mp3 on my imac,
> but I dont have anyway to do it on my pc. Anyone know of any decent
> freeware out there for pc mp3 conversion?

I use mac, but don't like Itunes. It keeps wanting to store copies away
that I have to get rid of. And has less complete conversion settings. I
usually use Peak.

I don't do sound on the pc here, so can't say there.

> Second- website: My internet service offers a free 5Mb website. I
> would like to use it to post samples of my recordings (mp3)rather
> than hogging naturerecordists group's file space.  Any
> recomendations for getting started on creating a very simple webpage?

For sharing samples, you don't even need a webpage, think of it as disk
space on a server, that's all it is. Just load the file into your space
and provide a link to it. I do this quite a bit with temporary files,
only bother with pages for more permanent stuff. If you check with your
isp they probably have instructions on how to do it and how to sort out
what the link address would be. With macs the best program for putting
things onto your website space is Fetch. There are both original mac and
OSX versions.

As a example, in my isp's system the link base address is made up out of
the email address. So, my link for a mp3 in my main space would be:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/SASS_MKH20_tall.mp3
(that's a real link, to a recording of river frogs done over a year ago)

My account allows me 10 email addresses, each with 10 megs of server
space associated with them. So, the links I give out can vary quite a
bit. In all cases the base is the email name.home.mindspring.com/
followed by either a filename or folder name and so on according to how
my site is organized. The same space contains the base page of my frog
pages:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/GAFrog.Toad.html
And that links to still other pages in folders and so on.

In this case, the link goes not to a individual mp3 file, but to a
textfile which is the index webpage for my frog pages. .htm or .html is
the ending on the filename that indicates a webpage. Any text you end in
those endings will be displayed as a webpage. If it's just text nothing
else is needed, but the html protocol allows linking in other files like
.gif or .jpg images, or some formatting of the text. Or .mp3, but .mp3
is not standard html and will have to be handled by a browser according
to the user's settings. Typically that one may be played in a new window
by a plug in, or simply downloaded as a file.

There is a lot to html, best to get a book, or as I did, start looking
at the source of pages and hunting up how things were done. Your browser
will display webpage source coding. It's easy to learn if you take it
step at a time. And if you understand html, you will often end up with
better pages than the automated webpage composers make.

If using netscape as your browser, it includes composer in it, which is
a html editor. I use Claris Home Page, a earlier mac editor. Many word
processors will also save as html.

There are more advanced things like java coding and so on. You will run
into a lot of that, particularly if looking a source coding of
commercial pages.

As I say, check how your ISP's system does it as far as organizing your
webspace and link addresses. You will find it's easy to fill 5 megs if
playing with soundfiles.