Re: Re: Marantz PMD670/Sound Devices 744t

Subject: Re: Re: Marantz PMD670/Sound Devices 744t
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:03:24 -0400
The one thing that bothers me most about the 744 is that only two
channels
have mike preamp inputs. The other two require an outboard preamp. This
annoys me to no end and I'm sure I would never be happy with it if I
bought
it. Why didn't they add the additional preamps? I guess because they
wanted
the 744 to have the same footprint as the 722, which is quite compact to
be
sure.

For doing 4-channel recording under typical field conditions, one
desires to
gang all four channels and use only one volume control. This is
especially
important in the dark. And who wants to pay all that money and then have
balance the channels by ear later in the studio??  Not me.

The 722, on the other hand, allows for ganging of its two channels
(important for stereo recording), and seems like it will be a marvelous
instrument that I would never want to upgrade (why bother, with those
incredible specs?). So I am thinking seriously about purchasing the 722.

Dangit anyway, Sound Devices should have put their marvelous preamps on
all
four channels in the 744. At least that's my opinion.

OK, I'll quit ranting.

Lang

Thanks for the replies to my questions on alternative
portable recorders.  Oryoki, yes the model he was
talking about was the CDR300. Thanks for the warning
about its weight and other issues.  Also great to know
about he pre-roll buffers in certain devices.  Adam
and Don, thanks for mentioning the PMD670.  That
spurred a busy few days of researching some of the
other recorders out there.  I haven't read anything
bad about the PMD670, so it sounds like a solid option
(two puns there? sorry).

Rob D. also mentioned the 744t to me.  This is
obviously the most capable (and expensive) of what I
have been looking at so far (Marantz PMD670, Fostex
FR-2, Sony Hi-MD).

But I have a question about this unit.  It seems to be
of high quality with regard to electronics,
environmental durability, light weight/design, etc..
But my question to the experienced folks in this
group: does it seem to be the sort of device that will
last for years and continue to be something worth
using and keeping?  The Portadisc seems to have this
reputation.  People who use it love it and and use it
for years.  Does the 744t seem to have that aura about
it?  Are there any major features lacking which will
likely be addressed by another device within the next
year perhaps?  I don't believe it's even available
yet, so I know there's only so much that can be said
at this point.  But based on the specs and the
reputation of Sound Devices, what's the general
feeling?=20

Thanks for any thought and insights here....  I'm
pretty much still just a lurker, but am always
impressed by the expertise here and fascinated by the
discussions.

Best,
Jeff

--- Adam Liberman <> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> You might look at the new Marantz PMD670 as an
> alternative to the Hi-
> MD. It is designed for remote recording and records
> onto memory
> cards or a removable hard-disk.
>
> - Adam Liberman
> Liberman Sound