Re: The future and MD recorders

Subject: Re: The future and MD recorders
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:47:54 -0500
Up until the last few months, their gaze seem
fixed on small players for music downloading. I
think the brew ha over the .wav file transfer
feature for HiMD may have made some of the
marketing people take notice that there is a
significant market for a new breed of recorders
out there (at least that's the sense I got from
talking with some Sony reps last week). Winning
(hopefully) the transfer battle might have been a
bit of a turn-around because they seemed to be
headed towards marketing these recorders as music
down-loaders and scratching the recording
features (you can see this by comparing their lit
today with that of January). Is MD going away?
You can't even buy a MD deck from the major
suppliers in the US.  Consider also that Sony
isn't selling top-end  or prosumer audio gear
anymore, are they?  That's an interesting fact to
ponder. They could jump back in with a "new"
product line -maybe with good mic pres, quality
a-d, 24 bits, direct upload etc.; let's hope they
do. But the hole in their current offerings is
glaring compared to the past. I'd guess there was
discussion within Sony about  HiMD taking away
from potential  prosumer products, but the
present demand from recordists won over. There
were a LOT of pre-orders for the NZ-NH900's.  Rob
D.

At 3:12 PM +0200 8/12/04, Klas Strandberg wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I learned today that both Sharp and Sony are going to stop
manufacturing at

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department