Re: cricket shivers

Subject: Re: cricket shivers
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:14:44 -0400
Snowy Tree Cricket, Oecanthus fultoni. Also known as the "temperature
cricket" because the temperature in Fahrenheit can be approximated by
counting the number of chirps occurring in 15 seconds. One popular formula
is:

# chirps in 15 seconds + 40 = temp. in Fahrenheit

lang

Not as interesting as Tiawan, but since things are quiet I will post
some quiet.

In the past here I have posted Spring Peeper frogs when they go flat
from the cold at 30F and Katydids changing their calls as they freeze
out in the 40's.

Here is a standard Cricket heard throughout the US.  Many here know a
whole lot more about these little critters than I do. Like maybe
their formal name.

Between 46 and 49 degrees they get very quiet in their calls, ok
stridulations.  I got a few chirps at a couple degrees colder but
then he was so quiet that the background is unpleasant to listen too
even recorded at 4 feet.  Linked is when the chirps change and split
into two, just before quit time.

200kb download.
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/cricketshiver.mp3

Rich