Re: cricket shivers

Subject: Re: cricket shivers
From: "Laura Davids Todd" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:00:08 -0000
--- In  Lang Elliott <> wrote:

> Here is a standard Cricket heard throughout the US.  Many here know a
> whole lot more about these little critters than I do. Like maybe
> their formal name.
>
> Between 46 and 49 degrees they get very quiet in their calls, ok
> stridulations.  I got a few chirps at a couple degrees colder but
> then he was so quiet that the background is unpleasant to listen too
> even recorded at 4 feet.  Linked is when the chirps change and split
> into two, just before quit time.
>
> 200kb download.
> http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/cricketshiver.mp3
>
> Rich

Thanks for posting this!! For the record...I just bought a Minidisc
last week (from a nice person on this list). I bought 2 electroset
mics from Radio Shack & I've been recording ever since. It's awesome!!
I've learned so much, mostly from mistakes. :) The first mistake I
learned is that the Minidisc tends to overwrite itself very easily. If
I fill a disc halfway one day & go out to record the next day, I end
up overwriting my files of the previous day.

I guess the only answer is to buy a lot of minidiscs & use a new one
each day?

To avoid erasing my files, I just learned how to record them into Cool
Edit. But I"m not over the hump yet... now I'm dealing with the fact
that a lot of quality seems to be lost when copying into cool Edit...
unless it's just that I"m not hearing all of the detail because of the
quality of my soundcard and/or computer speakers.

To experiment, I should really go ahead & burn a CD composed of my raw
files recorded on minidisc, just to see if all of the cool night bugs
are still there or if the softer sounds were lost.

But this post is about Crickets, which is primarily what I"ve been
recording. There were incredibly loud, full cricket choruses during
the hot weather. In addition to crickets there were things that
sounded like little nail-guns & compressors. Sure wish I knew what
those were! If I learn how to create Mp3s, maybe I'll upload some of it.

Then it cooled down and the sounds are completely different. AWEsome!!
Then it rained & it dawned on me to record that. Not to mention, my
kitty cats meowing all the time, and the inescapable cars & trucks.

I don't know anything about species. All I know is, it's some of the
best listening music I"ve ever heard!!

Can anyone comment about Cool Edit & what setting I should have for
for best quality?

Laura Woodswalker