Re: My Audio Buddy problem

Subject: Re: My Audio Buddy problem
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:08:12 -0500
At 11:37 PM +1000 8/26/04, Bill Rankin wrote:
>Hi All
>
>Thanks to Rob and everyone who has made suggestions re  my Audio
>Buddy. I am following the discussion with great interest.
>If it is possible to power  the unit with batteries they would need
>to be able to handle the current draw of the CAD M179 mic  which is
>listed as 8 mA. I get the impression that these batteries would need
>to be big and heavy am I right on this?

I got some conflicting results about battery duration possibly due to
my lack of follow-through (time).  The first mod we made (Bill Berens
and Evert, who is on the list)  powered an NT1A's and a mkh 40's for
at least 4 hours on one set of four alkaline 9 volts. The second
version with better battery connections sucked the 9 volt bats much
faster for some reason. I stopped at the point I couldn't get it to
power the CAD 179, but I'm sure there's an elegany solution  by
someone who realy understands such circuits. Our mod still allowed
one to use the 10vac wall wart when at home which is nice.  I'm up to
my earballs with a project at the moment.  Anyone want me to ship it
to them and take on finding a solution? I can't give it to them
because the unit I can send officially belongs to the University. The
reward would be helping quality on a budget recordists everywhere.
There's a folder below with some results comparing a MP2 to the DC
powered Audio Buddy and the Rode  NT1A to the Sennhesier MKH-40 mic.
Later,  Rob D.

http://www.uwm.edu/PSOA///Film/Danielson/Mic%20Preamps/

--
Rob Danielson