Telinga survives drowning

Subject: Telinga survives drowning
From: David Kuhn <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:45:19 -0700 (PDT)
Aloha fellow listeners,  esp. Klas and Telinga users--

While travelling down a rocky Kaua'i stream bed last week, I and my Telinga
Stereo took a dip, submerging the dish long enough to get all of it very wet.
The Zeppelin around the mic's was saturated and trickling water. The mic had
been on record-standby. I immediately disconnected the cable from the
accumulator to the back of the mic's, removed the dish, expelled some water
from the zep by centrifugal force, and brought it home to dry out. I carefully
avoided switching the mics on.
Back at the ranch, I directed a hair dryer at the mic's, on low heat at a
distance of 18 inches. After about a half hour of this I connected the system
and tried switching the mic's on.  The right channel sounded clear but the left
had an intermittent unsteady flutter/rumble. I then pulled out the pipe that
feeds into the zeppelin frame so hot air could get in to where the capsules
reside. Another  20 minutes of drying cleared up the left channel.
One benefit of this mishap was to clear up a mysterious problem I had been
having, and for which I was about to send the mic back to Sweden for repair.
The flutter/rumble on the left channel had been an intermittent problem for a
few months, and was apparently due to high ambient humidity, a common condition
here in Hawaii.
I have a concern that corrosion may be prone to develop in the system from this
wetting. Any advice, Klas or others?

Mahalo!
David

David Kuhn