Re: Cicada's and being in search of those stridulations

Subject: Re: Cicada's and being in search of those stridulations
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 13:27:37 -0500
Rich Peet wrote:

> Yesterday was the first day of our Cicada's here on the 45th parallel
> in MN. Just a lone singer.  But made me wonder about all those brood
> X recordists out there.  Can anyone give us an example of good mass
> Xers?  Was it as loud as it was suppose to be?

Down a bit south of Rich, in Champaign, IL, the 1st cicada that I heard
sounded on 1 July, and the first true chorus was last night.  The map
at http://www.msj.edu/cicada/ shows us just on the edge of the range.

As I was walking my dog around 7:30 PM CDT I was listening to see if
count individuals within earshot.  I missed by seconds getting what
would have been wonderful video ... a cicada suddenly changed its tune,
and I looked to see a bird chasing it in tight circles around a nearby
treetop.  But the time my camera powered up and extended it's lens,
they had lit somewhere.  The camera does do pretty good audio when
in movie mode, so I got some recordings, but you'd have to be a diehard
to want me to post them.

-- Mike