Re: Umbrellas gone wild

Subject: Re: Umbrellas gone wild
From: "J Young" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:56:58 -0400
Hello Chuck,
  Prior to my purchasing a Telinga dish I used a small sized plastic, child's
umbrella with a Sennheiser ME64 mic. I must say that I can tell little
difference (or none) in the sound quality between the two. I think that looking
at MiniMouse and Donald Duck when recording may have had something to do with
my decision to go the Telinga route.
  Again, the umbrella was the clear plastic type, with Disney characters
applied, about 18" in diameter. I found it in the children's section of a
discount department store.
  The mic was rigged in the operating mechanism of the umbrella (quite easily),
with business end of the mic facing the center, and about 2-3 inches from the
plastic of the umbrella.
  I hope this helps you with your decision. If you have any specific questions,
please ask.

Have fun,

J.