Re: Flash Card tech question

Subject: Re: Flash Card tech question
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:11:29 -0400
From: "oryoki2000" <>

> Not too much has changed in the flash memory recording arena since the
> beginning of the year.

I have noticed a significant change.

At the beginning of the year folks were still talking as if just the
fact it was a flash card recorder made it's recording ability excellent,
if not way better than any previous recorders. Better sound than could
be obtained by any previous recording media. And from even the cheapest
ones from names we had not heard of before. All it had to have was the
magic card in it.

Now that folks are beginning to get these things in their hands a lesson
is beginning to be learned. The flash card has almost nothing to do with
sound quality. So discussions are getting back to the quality of mic
pre's, and so on. And the price of good recording with this media is
climbing. The cheapest ones are not as good as the expensive ones, and
the high quality still costs. Should be no surprise there.

There will be good, bad, and ugly flash card recorders. And they have to
be weeded out by people tossing money at them. The magic speculation is
over, the work begins. Since most companies will simply move their
current electronics over to this new media with maybe a few
improvements, I expect a company's reputation with older audio equipment
will be somewhat predictive of how their new stuff will be.

And if I was buying right now, today, it would still be a Portadisc,
though I believe some predicted I'd be using solid state by now.